Friday, December 31, 2010

Home-Made Game

The kids are probably more excited about nano bugs than home-made christmas presents, but this was my favorite thing I gave this year...


A while back I bought several blank board-games and put them in my closet for a rainy day.  Then one day (i don't think it was raining) I saw these mad-scientist blocks and knew I had to have them....but had to use them for something to justify getting them.....thus the "mad scientist school" game was born...



I'm not the best artist....and drawing with sharpies is nerve wracking (racking?)....but it works.

This is what made the game possible....Moo.com makes awesome business cards (and mini business cards), and you can make each of them different.....so I can have 50 or 100 different questions (and I don't have to hand-write them all out on the blank cards that came with the blank game-board).


Anyway, the point of the game is collecting body parts to build your robot-monster.  I also used Moo.com to make these (the arms are made from the mini business cards).

And everything fits fabulously in my new favorite size storage container from target.  so there.  We've played it twice so far and it is not un-fun.

10 comments:

Margot said...

Um, this is basically awesome. It never would have occured to me to make my own board game.

Linen and Tulle said...

awesome. so creative

Mindy said...

Are you freakin' kidding me?!? You're on Design Mom!!!!!!!! You totally deserve it. You are a creative genius. And this game idea really is amazing. Remember how I sent you a Christmas Card and we are friends? Always remember.

Sar said...

i bought those same blocks for my husband, who's a scientist. he loves them, and now I want to make him a boardgame. any chance you could upload the questions you made up?

Emily said...

This. Is. AWESOME!

Autumn said...

DARLING!!!

A Family On Fire said...

I absolutely love this! But second the other request ... any chance you would be willing to share your questions and cards info?

Seriously... said...

for those who are interested in the questions I used....i will try to type them up in a word document that I can email to you....if you are still interested send me an email at kendra_nieman at hotmail dot com with the subject "mad scientist school" and i will get them to you......

Seriously... said...

not sure if anyone is checking this...but for those of you who wanted the mad scientist school questions, i JUST NOW got them in a word document and can send them to you if you drop me an email at kendra_nieman at hotmail dot com.

Tami said...

So cute!

I’d love it if you shared this with the Fun Family Crafts audience.
FFC is similar to Craftgawker but it only features kid friendly tutorials.

Looking forward to seeing what fun crafts you submit!
http://funfamilycrafts.com